Music is a big part of most of our lives. We listen to the radio and our iPods on the way to work, when we hit the gym or just to relax. Can you imagine a road trip, plane or train ride without any tunes? Music can help you pass the time or instantly bring you back to past memories.
My boyfriend and I put together our ultimate travel playlist. Here’s 14 songs you should add to the soundtrack of your next trip:
- “Traveller” by Chris Stapleton – What’s better than a tune about being a traveler? It’s a great country track perfect for the wide open road. I like to think this is my theme song.
- “30,000 Feet” by Ben Rector – There’s something reflective about looking down below through the window of a plane. This song illustrates that perfectly. And you never know when you’ll have a deep conversation with the person sitting next to you.
- “Walking on a Dream” by Empire Of The Sun – Just an all-around groovy song. And doesn’t it feel like we’re walking on a dream when we travel to far and distant lands?
- “Swim Until You Can’t See Land” by Frightened Rabbit – Every time I hear any of Frightened Rabbit’s tracks, I automatically think of road tripping Ireland with their music on repeat. This song also makes me think of getting off the beaten path.
- “Come Fly With Me” by Frank Sinatra – I remember listening to this on my first overseas flight – such giddy, anxious excitement.
- “Where the West Wind Blows” by Green River Ordinance – Everything about this song makes me want to hop in my car and take a long drive.
- “Home (RAC Remix)” by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros – This remix captures the anticipation of starting a journey, especially when traveling to see someone special.
- “The Traveling Song” by The Avett Brothers – The title says it all, and it’s a fun little diddle.
- “Wayside/Back in Time” by Gillian Welch – This song is so lyrical. I love the line: “If I don’t go tomorrow. You know I’m gone today.” On top of that, her voice is stunningly beautiful.
- “Suddenly I See” by KT Tunstall – A peppy song that can energize you to do awesome things, like see the world. This track takes me back to my first trip out of the U.S.
- “Barcelona” by George Ezra – I couldn’t help but have this tune playing through my head as I walked the streets of Barcelona on one of my first solo trips.
- “Another Travelin’ Song” by Bright Eyes – Because we could always use another traveling song. There’s something soothing about its melody. I can’t help but sing along every time I hear it.
- “The Great Escape” by We Are Scientists – Sometimes you’re on a trip because you’re fed up with life and you just had to get away.
- “Homeward Bound” by Simon and Garfunkel – This one’s for when you’re all traveled-out, and it’s time to go home.
Music is a perfect addition to any trip. What’s on your travel playlist? What songs bring you back to past memories from trips?